Monday, January 31, 2011

Day One: Barn Construction

Work began on the barn today. It was cold and overcast and rain is expected tomorrow, but the ground was cleared, holes dug for poles and concrete footings poured. The barn will be 30' x 50', with a loft for hay, and will provide shelter for the dairy goats, a milk "parlor" and grain storage. There will be additional space for Isabelle, my Jersey heifer, and hopefully her future calf.

Free-Range versus Free Meal
I found predators had eaten two ducks this week. The ducks have been uncooperative about living in their shelter at night and, in the interest of allowing free-ranging, I haven't wanted to lock them all up full-time. But capturing 40 ducks by net every night, while providing wonderful entertainment for neighbors and passersby, isn't something I'm willing to commit to.

The night before I found the remains, I'd come in from an evening out to find several wandering around by the front gate, seemingly confused. It was pretty cold that night and I rounded up as many as I could catch and forced them "indoors" for the night. Of course, finding a headless duck and a separate pile of feathers changes the game. Next day I put netting over the duck pen and lured them in. Day one of their incarceration leaves me wishing I had another option, but not sure how to solve this dilemma.

No comments:

Post a Comment